Computer Engineering is defined as the discipline that embodies the science and technology of design, construction, implementation, and maintenance of software and hardware components of modern computing systems and computer-controlled equipment. Computer engineering has traditionally been viewed as a combination of both computer science (CS) and electrical engineering (EE). It focuses on both hardware and software aspects of computing, from designing micro-controllers, microprocessors and computers to developing software to run computers and applications.
It has two major specialties: hardware engineering and software engineering. Hardware engineering deals with research, development, design, and testing of various computer equipment whereas Software engineering deals with development, design and testing of software programs.
Depending upon the specialty, Computer Engineers generally do the following tasks:
- Developing, testing and evaluating the software that make our computers work.
- Help in the development of new computer games and business applications, or even in the design of entirely new operating systems.
- Installing an operating system on a machine, looking at trouble tickets and works with end-users to fix the problem.
- Understand and apply knowledge of computer science and electrical engineering.
- Develop and work with digital technology, in computer networking and computer systems.
- Develop computer hardware and design and implement software applications
- Use skill and knowledge in hardware and software design
- Work in computer programming to make computing platforms and applications both effective and efficient.
- Ensure smooth functioning and integration of computer hardware and software.
- Keep updates about latest innovations in technology
- Optimize network capabilities and communications systems.
- They also work in Robotics, Aeronautic design, wireless networks, sophisticated equipments etc.
Ideal Qualities to be Computer Engineer
Work activities, only mental: If you prefer your work to be mental in nature, without much physical activity. Then Computer Engineer job is suitable for you where you are mostly required to sit in one place and come up with ideas or handle information.
Information Processing, only detailed: If you prefer to focus on a specific aspect of your work and to go deeper into the details then computer engineer career is best fits your personality.
Flexibility, very low: If you prefer to have a fixed work routine with little or no change every day. You only want to go to an office at a specific time each working day then Computer Engineering is kind of desk jobs you are looking for.
Value orientation, only idealistic: If you believe that your work must have meaning behind it, without any material importance.
Pursuit of Success, low: If you have, your personal life is important to you. You don’t want your social and family relationships to suffer from dedicating time to your work. Computer Engineering is that kind of job which will not interfere with your private life.
Motivation to Create, high: If you prefer to come up with your own ways of doing things then Computer Engineering is the career where you can invent new things on your own.
Sense of Duty, very high: If you often feel personally responsible for your work. You are careful when doing your work and you like to do your best then go for computer engineering.
Analysis orientated, very high: You like to spend a lot of time thinking before you make a decision. You believe that it is important to consider everything before acting. Then computer Engineer career is the one which required high level of analysis oriented quality.
If you have above qualities and interested on this subject then go for it. There are different educational options you can follow to be computer engineer:
TSLC in Computer Engineering covers courses including Information and Communication Technology, Web development as well as graphic design. This course is completed within 15 months which includes 3 months of On-the-Job Training. The target group of this pre SLC intake curricular program is individuals with SLC passed.
To know more about computer engineering course, Education fees, similar jobs, and institute that provide computer engineering course, check our Job and education database.[:]